Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Thoughts on the First Class - RG&M

I wasn't sure what to expect from the first class of Race, Gender and the Media. It has been nearly two years since I've taken a course with undergraduates, and sitting in a room with more than 100 undergrads was refreshing.
As a woman and a feminist, it is nice to know there are others younger than I who care about women's rights and our place in society, and how we are treated on a daily basis. It's also nice to know there are people who are aware of issues such as racial profiling and police brutality.
As for the Nightline video, it spurred some critical thinking among our class members, as well as stories of sexual harassment, racial profiling, DWB (which I'd never heard before) and a great discussion on reporting by Courtney, who covered two different murder trials in these last few months.
The Nightline video made me thing: the line of censorship is blurry. Was the station in Austin wrong for not reporting the triple homicide? Were the stations viewers harmed by the lack of coverage?
You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment