Monday, February 8, 2010

Out of the Comfort Zone - RG&M

Tracy shook things up a bit in our second class of the semester. The grad students had to move out of one row and socialize with (gulp) the undergrads. The mixed groups discussed how the media, especially the print media, interviewed a certain group- those damn wasps. My group felt that reporters needed to break out of the comfort zone and talk to different groups -- especially those underrepresented (really never represented) Native Americans. While it is hard to have a quota when you're a reporter, I think it's good to mix things up and try to interview some people who are NOT your color, gender, age or sexual preference (i.e. lesbian or gay man).
I'd already read a couple of the articles we were assigned, but it never fails to amaze me when I read evidence on how the news media ARE so damn bad when it comes to diversity. I know we're resistant to change, but shouldn't a social issue such as this one be on the forefront of our agenda?? I think so....

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...I only see two posts here on RGM. Add more if you want a better blog grade! BLOG GRADE: C

    ReplyDelete