A thought occurred to me today. After watching the documentary, America the Beautiful, I began thinking about my childhood and my mother. There are big differences between my mom and Gerren's mother. My mother always encouraged and supported my ideas and dreams, but guided me along the way. She was always quick to remind me that I was beautiful and smart the way I was --- she didn't encourage me to look or think in other ways (well...maybe she wasn't too happy when I registered as a Democrat, but that's another story for another day). She believed in me.
I think more female children would have healthier ideas about careers if their parents would be more strict while also being supportive. Sure, that's a fine line to walk and an easy task to assign, but how can mothers such as Gerren's sit back and watch their child put themselves through emotional and physical torture to be what someone else thinks they should be?
Maybe that's just beyond my comprehension.
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I agree--this movie really gets to me, and the mom that bothers me most is not Gerren's mom, it's the mom who wants to get her daughter liposuction so she can have a body completely different from the one she is born with. She wants to help her daughter defy nature so the girl can pursue a career that only lasts a short time and is based on appearance only. That is a sad commentary on our society. Thanks for all your interesting posts. Can't wait to read your paper. BLOG GRADE: 88
ReplyDelete